2013-07-07

Nightless night at Midsummer


The symbol of Midsummer in Finland has always been the birch tree, at least to me. The old tradition is that on Midsummer Eve you go to the woods and take a couple of young birches and fix them standing on both sides of your porch. They look so new and fresh at that time of the year and the scent is absolutely beautiful. 

You also make a bundle of the fresh twigs to use them in the Midsummer night sauna to sofly slap your skin with it in the heat. It revives your circulation and relieves you of all the stress in the muscles. 
If you are not a Finn you might abhor even the idea of this ritual. 
But imagine, a clear light night in the countryside, the sun doesnt't set, at a crystal clear lake. Bathing in the silent sauna, only listening the the hiss of the hot rocks on the stove, the scent of the young birch and the relaxing heat that washes away all the worries from your mind... then dipping into the soft and cool lake water. 

I can assure you, this is the moment on my mind when I see a leaf of a birch tree...

When I first saw these agate leaves in a bead store, this is why I just had to buy them. I knew at the same time that I would use them together with the mountain crystals that I had.



The sand polished crystals were like dew drops and the shining silver chain as bright as the light summer night. Looking at the finished necklace, I can feel the scent and the coolness of the tiny drops in my mind. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!